Theme: Ancient & Medieval Pre-Order
Available for Pre-Order. Nearing Art Dept. Readiness (some have components with an artist now, but the whole project isn't yet in the art department)
The Barracks Emperors is a strategy card game set against the backdrop of the Roman Crisis of the Third Century, during which at least 45 different men made a claim to the throne of the Roman Empire. In this game, 1-4 players represent prominent political factions attempting to gain control over the men who would be Emperors of Rome. Players deploy the influence available to them (represented by the cards in their hands) to claim imperial reigns (represented by the historical Emperor cards arrayed on the board.) But they must be very careful, because politics is a complex game, and sometimes attempting to exert your influence necessitates aiding someone else in their own plots. Play your cards cleverly to capture Emperors and score the most points to win.
At its heart, The Barracks Emperors is a trick-taking game, but not one like you’ve ever seen before. In this innovative design, all 13 tricks are available for play simultaneously, in an interlocking grid that forces you to balance the value of every card you play against the value that same card may have for another player on a different trick. Plus, every card grants you an additional special ability that you might be able to use to spring a surprise on your unwitting opponents.
If you are a fan of Battle Line, which gave you a new way to appreciate Three-Card Poker, you will love The Barracks Emperors for taking games like Spades or Bridge to the next level, with a historical conflict flair.
- Historical emperors, co-emperors, pretenders, and even Gallic Emperors who broke away from Rome during the Crisis of the Third Century are all represented as individual cards in the game, each with interesting facts about the rise and demise of the man depicted.
- For fans of Time of Crisis and The Age of Iron and Rust, you will find some of the concepts and flavor from that deck-building wargame, adapted in this all new standalone game. You don’t need Time of Crisis to play The Barracks Emperors, but you’ll recognize Influence Cards such as Praetorian Guard, Foederati, and Pretender, now used in an entirely new way.
- An innovative card drafting mechanic adds an extra layer of strategy to how you play your cards while also mitigating the luck that would come with being dealt a full hand of cards at the start of each round.
- This game is designed for 4 players, but also includes options for 2 or 3 players, plus an easy-to-play solitaire adaptation for the solo player.
- 1 round: Learning Game (30-45 minutes)
- 2 rounds: Short Game (60-90 minutes)
- 3 rounds: Full Game (90-120 minutes)
- 114 2.75" x 2.75" cards
- 22" x 34" mounted game board
- 6 x +1/+2 markers (2 each of Red, Blue, and Yellow)
- 20 page rule book
Designers: Brad Johnson and Wray Ferrell